Two weeks from now I will be in Washington, D.C. One of my best friends lives there. Sangeeta and I have known each other since kindergarten. Her initials are S.G. and my initials were S.G. so we always ended up sitting next to each other at the beginning of the school year (when teachers seat you in alphabetical order). It's actually kind of funny, my three best friends from high school all had last names that began with G.
I'm so excited about this trip. Sangeeta did her residency at Northwestern in Chicago. It was so great living that close to each other. Both of us had crazy schedules, but we managed to see each other every couple of months. We explored her neighborhood in Chicago, spent evenings watching "Sex and the City," making dinner, trying new crafts, drinking wine, and just having an all around good time.
She moved to D.C. right after I found out I was pregnant with Alex. Before she left, I drove down to meet her at Old Orchard Mall in the northern suburbs of Chicago. We talked for a few minutes, and then I broke the news that she was going to be an aunt! She was almost as excited as I was. I cried all the way back to Milwaukee after we parted ways. It was the first time in the 24 years we had known each other that I didn't know when I was going to see her again. That was over 3 years ago.
We finally got to meet up last August. She got to meet Alex for the first time (though he's talked to her on the phone before). I also got to meet her boyfriend Richard. It was a great visit, but I vowed it wouldn't be that long again before we got together. I decided to reward myself with the trip after Craig was gone following the Packers to the post-season for work. I figured I needed a break and Craig agreed.
So now it's almost time for me to go on my trip to visit Sangeeta. I bought new luggage tonight. I've already started my list of what to pack. I'm so excited!!! The countdown is on!
3 comments:
Good luck posting from the road. I did it last year for November Nablopomo, and it wasn't easy. Then again a trip (and a good friend) provides creative fuel.
Happy travels.
Have a great time-you really deserve this break...I am glad I get to see you at least once a month!!!
I am so excited that I am on your blog! I cannot wait til you come, I am making big plans already!
Post a Comment