Friday, April 4, 2008

L is for Learning Process

Parenting is a learning process. You read books on what other people say works. You get OODLES of unsolicited advice on what works. Your friends tell you what works for them. Eventually, you figure out what works for you.

Mornings have been a challenge of late. That actually may be the understatement of the year. Alex comes by his dislike of mornings honestly. If I could sleep till 10AM every day, I would. I'm not usually "Susie Sunshine" at any point during the day, least of all in the morning. We go into his room, slowly open the door and say "Time to get up, buddy."

"No Mommy. Go way. I'm still sleeping."
"Don't wanna get up."
"It's still dark. No."

I have many of those same feelings at 6:15AM when I get up. But we have to all get moving in the morning, or we'll all be late for work or school. Usually there's crying and struggling. Fights over what's for breakfast, going potty, getting dressed. Lots of tears. Massive frustration on our part.

We managed to snap out of it this week though (knocks really hard on nearest wooden surface). The trick? Let Alex eat breakfast in his pajamas. If only I'd realized months ago it was this simple! It guess eases him into the morning. Two mornings he crawled up into my bed while I was getting dressed for work, he was all smiles and chattered away. Two mornings he knocked on the bathroom door right after I got out of the shower. I threw on my robe, opened the door, and found two smiling faces ready to say "Good Morning." Well, three if you count Shadow, our dog. He sits down and eats his entire breakfast now with a smile on his face. Goes potty with minimal struggle. Gets dressed with minimal struggle. I guess the bribe of watching "Sesame Street" doesn't hurt, either. It's amazing!

So we found a new routine that works for us. And peace is temporarily restored in the mornings. Here's hoping it lasts!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love when we find something that works, too!!!