Thursday, April 17, 2008

Fun With Yarn

So back to the whole "Don't drink and crochet" thing.

My book club friends and I finally had our crochet night. It was a BLAST! Michelle is extremely crafty, and crocheted the other three of us in the group beautiful baby blankets back when the three of us had babies within a few months of each other. We have tossed around the idea of having Michelle teach us to crochet, but just never did anything with it... until Tuesday night.
Lisa was so excited she went to the library, checked out some books, and crocheted a tiny blanket for her daughter before we even got started as a group!

We all came, armed with wine, food, yarn, and hooks. We chatted for well over an hour, and then we finally got down to business. It wasn't easy. As I've mentioned before, I've been knitting, which requires two needles, different hand/wrist motions, etc. Once I got out of those motions I was on a role. But apparently I was sipping a bit too much wine. I was finishing what i thought was my second row of single crochet stitches, when Michelle took a look at my work.

"Did you mean to stop halfway across and turn it around?"

Um, no. WOW. How did that happen?

Oh well, I took out that messed up row and played with it some more last night. My plan is to sneak out tonight or tomorrow afterwork and buy a giant hook and some really soft yarn and make a blanket or two just doing single crochet stitches. I'd really like to make one for my grandma, who turns 90 next month and is recovering from having a pacemaker put in last weekend.

Craig apparently didn't realize I was going to be crocheting with my Book Club buddies Tuesday night. My frantic search in the basement for yarn I bought nearly 10 years ago when I learned my sister was pregnant with her first child (who just turned 9 last month) was not enough of a clue that I was working on something. My digging through my late grandmother's old yarn basket for a decent color/texture of yarn didn't tip him off either.

He said "Wow. How boring are we husbands that the four of you need to get together and play with yarn on a Tuesday night?"

Boys. They just don't get it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And here I was thinking how much I enjoyed the wine on Tuesday...Lord knows what will happen when we go out of town in the fall!