Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A recipe for you...

My mom made this awesome breakfast casserole this weekend. I promised to share the recipe if we liked it. The recipe was from a Register-Mail article on a Galesburg church cookbook.

Blueberry Brunch Bake

1 lb. loaf day-old French bread, cut into 1/2” cubes
1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
Options: additional blueberries and maple syrup

Place half the bread cubes in a greased shallow 3 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with blueberries. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the eggs, yogurt, sour cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Gradually add the milk and maple syrup until blended. Pour half over the bread. Top with the remaining bread and cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Sprinkle with additional blueberries if desired. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with syrup. 6 to 8 servings. Note: If using frozen blueberries do not thaw before adding to batter.

Now, this is pretty bland as is. The maple syrup helps, but I like things a little sweeter than that. Next time I make it, I'll probably add about a 1/2 cup of sure to the liquid mixture before pouring over the bread.

Enjoy!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!! Girl, you are making me hungry with this recipe. We have made a similar cake with sour cream. I haven't tried the cream cheese, but trust me when I say, this will be the next thing I bake. My hubby can eat the whole thing in 2 days by HIMSELF!

Rhea said...

This sounds delicious! I'd love to try it. And, blueberries are soo good for you...aren't they a super food or something?! I'm all for it.

Lula! said...

We love blueberries, we love brunch and we love cake--this is a winner for my family!

Sherri said...

I AM SO HUNGRY !!!!!!

Kimberly said...

Love from SITS...
Wow! This sounds fabulous! I am going to have to try this for sure!
P.S. Your blog is so cute!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yummy. This is a perfect time to post about blueberries. They are everywhere. I can't wait to make this.

Jen said...

This sounds so yummy. I am always a sucker for anyhting with blueberries. I will be trying this one.

Unknown said...

Congrats on being the featured chef!!

I love blueberries, plus they are also super good for you as they're packed full of antioxidants.

Going to try this one!

Sasha said...

Yum O!

-Bridget said...

I may give this a shot. But I think I'll try blueberry syrup instead of maple.

KatBouska said...

Sounds yummy!! Next time you make it post a picture with it so we can see how tastey it is!!

Stephanie said...

Wow, kind of a fancy-schmancy bread pudding - sounds so good!

Amy said...

This sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering...can't wait to try that!

Sometimes Sophia said...

The blueberry lovers in my house will be ecstatic over this one. THANKS!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Definitely going to try this!!

Jenn Erickson said...

Holy Moly! Sounds like Nirvana! Printing as we speak... Thanks! Jenn