I'm halfway through a week of flying solo. Craig is in Green Bay for Packers hysteria. Normally he gets to go up there and come home, but he's spending a whole week up there. I miss him, but I'm also starting to realize how spoiled I am!
The hubs... he's pretty good. He was always very helpful in the mornings after Alex was born. But once I went back to work... MAN! Did I have it good! He got breakfast ready, packed Alex's lunch, and had him ready to be out the door by 8:30AM.
Well, Mama's got to be to work an hour earlier now, so Daddy really has to do it all himself.
I hope he knows how much I appreciate all he does in the morning! I'll make sure to tell him next time I see him (likely after the Superbowl if the Packers keep winning).
Alex has been uncharacteristically cooperative. Mornings are usually filled with drama. Alex is not a morning person. He comes by that honestly. I have never been a cheerful, chipper morning person. But the last couple of days, Alex has really been good. I've been about 15 minutes late for work, but they've been really great about it. (If I was still in TV land, I'd have had a talking too about being late) It is just a huge juggling act. I'm getting up earlier, so I can be ready earlier, and have some non-rushed time with the little guy. But we're getting by.
What really hit me was on the way home from work today, it was REALLY snowing. All that went through my head was "Who's going to shovel tomorrow morning?" Oh wait! That's me! I managed to oursource walking the dog! (I've hired the neighbor kid to walk her. Yeah, I'm that woman. Can't even walk her own dog when her husbands out of town. SAD!) But didn't stop to consider what to do if it snowed while Craig's gone. I know everything will be fine. I will survive, to quote Gloria Gaynor. It's just a little overwhelming!
The past couple of days have really put things into perspective for me. It's made me appreciate my life even more. I always had a great deal of respect for single moms, but now even moreso. I also have a new appreciation for my older sister. She has three boys ages almost 4 to almost 9. She's blessed to be able to stay home with them, but my brother-in-law has to travel a lot for his job. I can honestly say I don't know how she does it! She is truly super-woman!
So whether you're a mom flying solo on a permanent basis, or just temporarily stepping into that world, my hat is off to you! It's not easy! And you deserve a break.
By the way... whenever I get a weekend with my husband again, we are going out on a date. There will be a babysitter. There will be drinks and dinner, a movie AND dessert. Period.
1 comment:
If you need a babysitter, call us! We'd love to give you an opportunity to hit the town!
Post a Comment