Tuesday, April 8, 2008

R is for Recipe

My friend Lisa had some great suggestions for my dinner time troubles. One thing she suggested was planning menus in advance. Not necessarily down to the type of vegetable, but just organizing a little bit.

To that end, I have started making a list of what I can make with the contents of my fridge/freezer/pantry at any given time. That way the possibilities are at least narrowed down to what I have on hand. As I make certain dishes, they get crossed off the list. When there are only a couple things left on the list (or a few things left in the fridge) I go to the grocery store and start again. It's helping a bit!

Lisa also offered a fabulous recipe I can't wait to try. Here it is:

Unbelievable Chicken Meatloaf

1 lb. ground chicken (or turkey)
1/2 c breadcrumbs (1 toast 2 slices of bread and put in the food chopper)
1 large egg white
1 medium carrot (I use several baby carrots)
1 small onion (I omit)
1/4 c ketchup
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. combine chicken and bread crumbs in large bowl
3. cut the carrot and onion into chunks and add to blender or food processor
4. add the remaining 7 ingredients to the blender
5. process until carrot is very fine
6. pour blender mixture over meat mixture
7. mix very will with your hands
8. form into a loaf and place in lightly greased 9 x 13 pan (or 8 muffin cups)
9. cover with foil and bake one hour
10. remove foil and bake for 15-30 min., until cooked through

She makes them in muffin cups and they only bake one hour total. Each cup has 2 weight watcher points, or approx. 111 calories and 2.2 g fat.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this recipe, especially because I don't eat red meat. I always use turkey and pray my hubby can't tell. I have never tried chicken though. I will have to do that.

Rhea said...

I love the idea of meatloaf in muffin size bits. Very cool presentation!!

Nonnas News said...

I love chicken, so I will have to give this recipe a try! Congrats on being featured today!

Susie said...

Congrats on being featured today!! I want to be just like you when I grow up:-) Hee, hee, hee.

Sherri said...

Wow! This sounds really good!!!

Lula! said...

Chicken, muffin pans, and a healthier/more fun way to enjoy meatloaf...yes, I'm in!

Jess NBP said...

well i could definetely try the chicken. different taste. thanks

Amy said...

Sounds great! Congrats on being featured.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Great, another good idea. Congrats on being a featured at Saucy Eats!

Anonymous said...

Before I became a vegetarian, I loved cooking with ground chicken. My husband, not so much, though. Congrats on being features at Saucy Eats!

Unknown said...

Just checked the freezer and the cupboards...I have all the ingredients...

Right then, chicken meatloaf muffins for dinner tonight !!!

Jules said...

That is a wonderful idea. And we don't eat beef so this will be great. And added hidden veggies. I love it!

Do you think it would work with ground turkey as well? It's a bit drier that chicken, i think.

-Bridget said...

Hmmm, I love the chicken twist.

Lynda said...

Congrats on being so SAUCY! This recipe sounds great - I'm gonna try it :-)

Tiffany said...

I can't wait to try this one!

Stephanie said...

What a great idea to use ground poultry in a meatloaf! I love meatloaf, but am not really a fan of all the grease the loaf floats around in. I'll have to give this a try next time I want meatloaf. Thanks for the great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Those sound amazing...and already measured for weight watchers...brilliant! Visiting from SITS Saucy eats...