We've had a wonderful, busy-yet-relaxing weekend. For starters, this is the first time both Craig and I have been off for Memorial Day together in YEARS. That's the thing about the TV news business, there are no holidays. So invariably one of us has had to work on every major holiday for the past 10+ years. Thank goodness I'm finally out!
Saturday we spent the day at my Grandma's house in Michigan City, IN. All of us wanted to celebrate her 90th birthday (which is tomorrow, I'll post pictures). My sister came with her husband and three boys from Fort Wayne, IN, my brother and his wife came from Des Moines, IA, and my mom and dad were there, too. Busia (a Polish word for grandma... turns out there are several) is still sharp as a tack, but she's had some health problems of late. She's going to be staying with my mom and dad in Galesburg, IL for the next few weeks. She on the cusp of needing live-in help or moving into some sort of assisted living facility, but of course she's fighting it every step of the way. Not easy on my mom, who's just trying to get through the end of the school year with her sanity in tact.
Yesterday we went to church, enjoyed another day of gorgeous, sunny weather. I had to run to the grocery store, and was seduced by the produce section. Fresh asparagus, green peppers, tomatos, bananas, apples, melons... I love spring and summer if only for the fresh fruits and vegetables! So I piled my cart high with all the makings for some tasty, healthy meals, and felt extra proud that I remembered to bring my green bags, so I was saving the environment, too.
Then we headed to the zoo after nap time. Our timing was almost perfect. It was late afternoon, so most people were heading home, meaning no crowds and no lines! Alex loves seeing all the animals and enjoys making up stories about them. Just ask him about the lizard who tried to steal his Cheerios... not a true story, but definitely entertaining.
Then we headed home to grill out. It was just burgers on the grill and corn on the cob, but boy did it taste good! We ate outside on our screened-in porch. Besides the fireplace, the porch is what sold me on this house. I could spend hours out there.
Today we're having a lazy day. We slept in, we're still in our jammies, with no major plans for the day. We'll probably play outside a bit, I'll probably do some cleaning while Alex naps, Craig has some yard/outside work to be done, and then we'll grill out again tonight. I'm thinking fajitas for tonight... MMM!
1 comment:
Perfect family weekend. I relish those experiences (especially lounging in jammies late in the morning) with our girls.
Post a Comment