I didn't want to muddy my Mother's Day post with a rant, but I have a serious beef with the people in my section during yesterday's Brewers-Cardinals game.
Ryan Ludwick of the Cardinals hit a home run into the left field bleachers. That ball was caught by a young boy, I'm guessing in the 8-10 age range. The fans around him started chanting "Throw it back! Throw it back!" COME ON!!!! This kid just had a once in a lifetime MLB moment by catching a home run ball. In his young mind it's probably the coolest thing that has happened to him. I would be willing to bet the didn't care two licks about which team hit the ball, he's thinking "Oh my gosh! I caught a home run ball!" But the thoughtless, mean-spirited fans kept chanting, and chanting, and chanting. The poor kid gave in and tossed the ball back to the field, then crumpled into his mom's shoulder.
I was so ticked I wanted to scream, "This isn't Wrigley Field! That's not even a Brewers tradition!" An event services member came running down to the kid and his mom. She spent a lot of time with them, hopefully arranging to get the kid another ball and some sort of autograph or personal meet-and-greet session. Then the event services woman proceeded to glare at all the fans surrounding this kid. I'm sure they didn't get the message, but I saw it and it made me smile.
So next time you go to a game, and you see a little kid catch a home run ball, don't worry about which team hit the run. Just revel in the joy on that child's face. Because that's what the game is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment