Now that I have a few new hobbies (crocheting and blogging) mixed in with my old one (reading), I'm finding I need to be better about budgeting my personal time. I love to read, but I also like blogging and crocheting. After getting Alex to bed, I usually only have an hour and a half to two hours to myself. But I need to squeeze in laundry, dusting, cleaning my room, cleaning other rooms in the house, tidying the toys, or doing the dishes to that minimal amount of time. I found that I would sit down and read or blog or play with yarn before doing my chores. So I'm reverting back to childhood rules... no fun till your work is done.
Growing up, I couldn't play until I had done my chores and practiced piano. That included weekends. There were many Friday afternoons after school when I would have a marathon piano practice session... playing for 2 hours to catch up on all that practicing I skipped during the week. Now, I'm not allowed to fire up the computer till after Alex is in bed, no reading until the dishes are done, and no crocheting till the chores are done. So far it's working. I'd love to hear other time management tips. Share 'em if you got 'em!
7 comments:
I don't have any suggestions, just commiseration. I'm working on this myself right now!
Love this new layout, BTW. The almost argyle in brown. Very cute!
Syd-This is one of the things I struggle with all the time-Not enough time...
You're a better person than I am. I have the fun, then leave the work for later. It'll always be there!
I was just thinking about this the other day. I need some time management skills. I, apparently, have NONE.
I tend to do everything at once - I have the laptop on the kitchen counter and read stuff while I fill the dishwasher and back and forth to the washer/dryer....
Multitasking where possible might help: In our home, Mum breastfeeds Sonny while simultaneously checking her e-mail. But most of the time, it's all about fitting our chores around the baby's needs; by end of day, tiredness tends to extinguish the flame of further activity after Sonny's asleep.
Before blogging, I was an avid reader. And now I read blogs instead of books. Sort of...I do both...but balancing is a challenge. I am loving summer, because I can sorta ignore my children. Or send them to camp. But during the school year when I have to be a teacher, too...telling them to go learn doesn't exactly work :-)
Post a Comment