Friday, February 1, 2008

True Confessions

Time for a couple of confessions. One is just something I need to get off my conscience. The other is something silly.

Two weeks ago, one of Alex's daycare teachers gave us a big bag full of VHS tapes. There was some Barney, Sing Along Songs, a couple of things I didn't recognize. She heard me bemoaning the fact that Alex liked 3 movies... "Cars," "Shrek," and "The Lion King." She has 3 kids, all of whom are too old for some of their videos, and they rarely used their VHS. So she offered to give them to us. I politely declined, trying to explain that I had been collected Disney and other animated movies since I was in high school, knowing someday I'd have kids of my own to share them with.

Much to my surprise, by the end of that week, she brought in a giant bag of movies. I tried to tell her no, but she insisted. I drove around for a week with these movies in the trunk of my car. Few people I know have VHS anymore. I didn't have room or desire for these movies (some of which had been taped off of television). I tried to think of a logical place to donate them... a school, a daycare, but couldn't come up with anything good.

Okay here's the confession. I hope it doesn't change anyone's opinion of me.

I threw them out. They went out with the garbage on Monday. There's no getting them back.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind getting things second hand. In fact, a big chunk of Alex's wardrobe is made up of things given to me by my sister, Jen, after her 3 boys, or my friend Sara, after her 2 boys. I'm grateful for things like clothes... things I can actually use. But the movies? I have a couple dozen animated movies. Not to mention about a hundred other movies that I don't have room for. I didn't know what to do with them, and clearly this woman wanted to get rid of them. In a moment of frustration, the went into the trash can. And now it's too late. Oh well!

The other silly confession... I like fruit roll-ups. I'm sure there's little (if any) redeeming nutritional value. They're just so yummy. And it cracks me up that Alex calls them "Fruit Pull Ups."

No comments: