My work wardrobe has shifted a bit in the last year and a half. At the TV station, I was just a little past dressy casual. You know, sassy boots or heels with sassy jeans. I would occassionally bust out the dress pants, skirt or dress, especially if there was going to be a guest on my show or if there was someone important who was going to be at the station (like the governor, the archbishop, the mayor, a hot baseball player, etc.).
When I switched to P.R. my wardrobe shifted to more professional dress. The dress code said business casual, but my department had style. Not always suits, but definitely dress pants, heels, skirts and dresses.
My switch to corporate P.R. has been interesting. People are fashionable, yet practical. I've never seen people make sweaters and wraps looks professional. Our office is cold, so most people have sweaters, wraps, scarves, and even blankets in their cubicles to help keep warm. I still wear heels nearly everyday, but I carry them in while trudging in from the parking lot in my nice warm snow boots.
I love dressing up. It makes me feels professional. But I love my after work uniform even more. I can't get into my comfy clothes fast enough after work. I rotate between a pair of guys sweatpants I bought from Old Navy for $7, some fleece yoga pants (also Old Navy) and a pair of flannel pants emblazoned with Chicago bears logos. I have a vast collection of sweatshirts and long-sleeved t's to wear with these. The minute I've taken Shadow out the door to go potty and given Alex a snack I tear off for my bedroom, get out of the work clothes, and into my nice comfy comfies.
I never switched into my comfies this fast after a day in the TV newsroom, and God knows that was a lot more stressful than what I'm doing now. But there's just something that makes me feel... I don't know... comforted when I slip into these soft clothes. Almost like my clothes are giving me a big hug at the end of a stressful day.
9 comments:
I'm the opposite of you...I've been wearing comfy clothes for so long now that I miss dressing up for work!! Crazy huh? lol
Walk in the door
Drop keys in key holder
Hang purse up
Walk to bedroom
Put on comfy clothes
Amen
I'm with Holli...Sunday is my fave because I get to get all dolled up in dressy clothes! But it would get old...
I'm in the same boat as Holli and Amber. I watch What Not to Wear to remind myself to only wear comfy clothes when I'm actually home (or working out.) It's all too easy to start wearing yoga pants every day.
I can get all gussied up when need be but I don't miss doing it on a regular basis. I'm more comfy being casual or wearing a great shirt/blouse/sweater, pair of jeans & a 'sassy' pair of boots! I've done corporate dress, business casual, retail business casual, retail whatever and Home Depot (jeans, t-shirt, sneakers or work boots)!
I have to dress nice for work too and I love it most of the time. But I can't wait to get home and put on my comfy clothes... sometimes my pj's. My husband thinks it is hilarious when he comes home from work and I'm already in pj's. I don't think he understands the freedom from button-ups and heels. Haha!
I LOVE comfy clothes! They are like comfort food without the calories!! ;-)
Comfy clothes rock! and no makeup..whoohoo!
the same thing tends to happen at my house that happens at Hot Tub Lizzy's :-)
My current job requires a casual dressed-up ... (nice jeans with a decent top are ok) but it's been something I needed to get used to since I've been a XXXL sized sweater + any old jeans + army boots type of girl most of my life! :-)
And eventhough I've gotten used to my new wardrobe, I still prefer the old look after work and on some weekend days!
let's see if this comment will post without a blogger account...
Karen (the Dutch one)
Post a Comment