Wednesday, August 26, 2009

You have time to read?

I have kind of a vent right now. I can't tell you how often I have received this response when I tell people I'm in a book club.

"You have time to read?"

(usually uttered in a stunned, incredulous or condescending tone)

This is usually followed by some lamentation about how they're too busy with their kids, or work, or life etc. to pick up a book, magazine, whatever and read.

Seriously?!

Here's why this irritates me.

1. You think a woman who works 45+ hours a week and has a 4 year old and another on the way isn't busy? Or are you trying to insinuate that I'm somehow neglecting my job/family/household by taking 10-15 minutes out of the day to read?

2. Why don't you have time/make time to read?

I have been reading since I was 4 years old. I've been obsessed with books since before then. My parents had the 1975 World Book Encyclopedia set, plus a set of Childcraft books that I would page through for hours on end. There were always newspapers and magazines in my house, books on the bookshelf, and I have vivid memories of seeing both my mom and dad reading novels as a child out in the open where anyone in the family could see. I learned to read early... so early in fact that my kindergarten teacher thought my parents were full of it when they told her that I could read. Proved her wrong. Once they realized I could read I got to select books from the first grade shelf. By second grade I was grabbing chapter books from the 4th-5th grade shelf. Books have always been my escape, my refuge, my way to explore unknown worlds. You were more likely to find me with my nose in a book in the summer than out playing with my friends. I wasn't anti-social, I just preferred reading.

This love affair with reading was cemented thanks to some fantastic English teachers in junior high and high school. Then of course I saw "Dead Poets Society," a movie which changed my life. I flirted with the idea of being an English teacher, but instead majored in English in college (along with journalism as a double major). Reading to me is life. It's learning. It's expanding your horizons. It is something I truly love to do, so why wouldn't I make time for it in my busy life? If you like boating, you're going to make time for boating, right? Same thing with crafts, television, movies, insert whatever you want into the blank.

I think I'm setting a great example for my son by reading books not only with him, but in front of him. I'm teaching him to value books and to treasure reading. He has his own bookshelf and will sit for long periods just pulling books off the shelf, looking at pictures or telling his version of the story. That makes me so proud... that I'm nuturing his love of reading, fueling his mind and his creativity through books.

If you don't like reading books, fine. I have no problem with that. There are a lot of things I don't like, so I don't do them. But when you hear someone talking about books, their book club, reading etc., don't flip back at them "You have time to read?"

8 comments:

Shawna said...

I totally agree! It bothers me so much when people say "you have time to read?". Reading is my escape, my hobby, and the one constant in my life. I'd always rather read than watch TV. One thing I've noticed is that the same people who say "you have time to read?" are the same ones that question "how do you know that?" when I know some random fact or piece of trivia. Nothing pleases me more than to say "I read it in a book"!

Unknown said...

You know I agree with you on this one...I read before kindergarten as well, and have not stopped. It amazes me when people make that remark when we live in a society that tells women you HAVE to take me time...well, my "me time" is often with a book!

Tam said...

Most of my friends ask me were do I find time to read...HHMMM
The Hour Car line that I sit in everyday during school. I read in the car Often..I often have 2 or three books in my car at a time. I also have books stowed in the diaper bags to the horror of my husband when I forgot the formula and diapers once but not my book..LOL I stand in the kitchen cooking dinner reading a chapter or have a child on my hip and a book in the other hand.

Bottom line is it is hard to find time but I do and it makes me a little crazy when other people say...OO How do you find time to READ much less be involved in a book club?

Great Post!

Amber M. said...

I grew up reading Childcraft, too!

And I agree with Shawna. Yes, I have time to read. Because I don't watch TV. Priorities?? Maybe. Maybe they just prefer TV. Or biking. Or making model airoplanes. But that's no reason to question YOU.

Holli said...

This post could have been written by me word for word. I was also an early reader (4 yrs old) and was always reading way ahead of my grade level all through school. I've read anything and everything I could my whole life and I will never stop making time for something i love. What a rude thing for someone to say to you!!

Anonymous said...

You never hear people say "You have time to watch American Idol?" or "You have time to scrapbook?" I hear this too and it ticks me off--so I read. It's what I do. I don't watch TV much or watch many movies (wish I did) or do crafts. Don't judge how I spend my free time engaging my mind and I won't judge yours.
Okay, off my soapbox now...

Alison said...

I'm SO with you--I cannot imagine life without reading. I know those same people think nothing of watching TV to relax--they just don't get that reading is an escape and relaxation for some of us.

And I agree with everyone who said it's a rude question.

leigh hewett said...

I love to read, always have and have said often that I just don't have the time to do it these days. Well, you have inspired me to make it a priority again.

You make time for what you love right?

Now if I could just work on my attention span.

XO
Leigh