Now that I'm pregnant, I'm struggling with my love affair with caffeine. I am by no means a caffeine fiend. In a non-pregnant state, I generally enjoy a traveler mug of coffee in the morning and a can of Diet Coke at lunch, and that's pretty much my limit.
When I was pregnant with Alex, I decaffeinated. It was not pretty. You would have sworn I was coming off something serious. I was cranky, irritable, generally unpleasant to be around. My fuse went from short to non-existant. But I managed to get through my withdrawal, switch to Sprite and 7-up, drink hot cocoa instead of mochas, etc. I admit, I didn't give up chocolate... but there's only a small amount of caffeine in chocolate anyway.
This time around, I have simply cut back on caffeine. I tried to drop it altogether, but this pregnancy is so different. I was extremely tired early on and still adjusting to a new job. So I'm limiting myself to one small mug of coffee or tea OR a Diet Coke. I tried to go without caffeine the other day and by about 3pm, I was ready for a nap. I think I just need that tiny little boost.
I guess it's like all things though... best in moderation!
7 comments:
I had a giant fountain Dr. Pepper every day of my pregnancy with all three kids. It helped settle my stomach. My doctor seemed to think that as long as I didn't have 8 cups of coffee a day, drinking caffeine is okay. Bless your heart...
Yes, I am drinking caffeine. Everything I seem to read says caffeine in moderation is completely fine. And I am not a coffee drinker. So a can or glass of coke each day is well within the limits. Have you a cup of coffee or at least a coke each day!!
Found you through SITS.
I was trying to get pregnant at one time and I dropped caffeine. It was an ugly few days. Headaches like crazy!!! Several times since I've tried to kick it, but I never make it past the headaches!
Happy Saturday Sharefest. I think we must be twins seperated at birth, I love almost the exact same movies as you!
The caffine and pregnancy thing is hard. I gave it up except for once in a while. But I also have friends who continue on in their same pattern. You are right, moderation is the key!
I think we all lighten up a bit with subsequent pregnancies. I don't think there's anything to worry about :) I was a lot more slack with diet, caffein, everything it seems.
I thought about you recently since I started running again. I remember you gearing up for a race or two. I'm hoping to be able to do some kind of fun run at the end of October. I should be up to a 5k by then...snort!
I'm catching up on my blog searching and wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! I too can not give up caffine this time. With 3 kids to keep up with there is not chance of a caffeine free day and everyone living. I am actually sipping as we speak. Congrats again! Nicole
I couldn't make it through without my daily cup. I compromised and made it half caff, but I couldn't go without. Pregnancy is so much more tiring when you're running after an older kid too.
Post a Comment