This story totally caught my eye this week. It's about a woman who created a fake, high risk pregnancy, then took to the blogosphere to write about it. Along the way, she rounded up hundreds of followers, placed ads on her blogs, tried to drive up traffic to make some $$$, and it all blew up in her face when she got busted. It's a really sad commentary. It also serves as a warning not to believe everything you read on blogs... or online for that matter!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-baby-hoax-12jun12,0,5601624.story
I'm not getting jaded about blogging. I know I've been kind of hit or miss lately with posts. I just don't feel like I have a lot to say. But this article compelled me to write something. Don't believe everything you read. Have compassion for people, but realize that this is not the real world. That sob story you just read may not be real. That person bragging about their wonderful home-based business, might not have a business at all. Before you add a button linking to someone elses blog, make sure you're not being taken advantage of... they may just want the extra traffic to drive up their numbers. I'm not saying everyone is a fake. Just exercise caution both in what you read and what you put out there.
6 comments:
Wise words. I'd heard nothing about this until I saw a series of posts on a blog I love and follow that documented the "revelation" of the faker. Very sad indeed.
Hopefully people will extrapolate their discernment even beyond blogs as well...Wikipedia for example...fun resource, but can be edited by anyone. ANYONE. Not a reliable "research" source to put it mildly. Same with the "medical" information. My mom always said "Consider the source." Sure, she was talking about the reliability (or unreliability) of "real life" people, but with the web, it's even mroe applicable.
Great post.
Very good points! I had heard about the blog on another blog that I read (prob the same one Cheryl is talking about)...very disappointing...
Good warning! I can't believe people do this...why can't everyone just be "normal"? LOL
Sad but true, and a good warning for us all. There are so many people out there trying to scam honest, caring people. It is so sad. I hate being skeptical of people but I find myself being that way more often.
Are you serious?? I never cease to be amazed by the choices people make. But like some of your other commenters have said...when you bloghop, consider the source. And if someone online asks for money?? Yeah, right.
Thanks for the post.
What!!! You mean everything that I see on tv or read on the internet is not true. I can't believe it. Truthfully 60% of the junk you read on the internet is complete garbage. altered pictures, false stories and so on.
Post a Comment