Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas is Coming

Last weekend we started decking the halls at our house. I finally put away all my pumpkins and Halloween decorations. Now, I don't normally leave the Halloween stuff up till AFTER Thanksgiving. This year it was just too crazy with changing jobs and life in general. I simply didn't get to it till last week. We took Alex to see Santa, bought a Christmas tree, built a fire in the fireplace and started decorating.

Let me preface this by saying I LOVE Christmas. I love decorating for it. I love sending and receiving cards (especially ones with letters or notes updating me on people's lives). I love going to church this time of year. The songs, the symbolism, the preparation for the birth of Jesus. I love the how Alex is starting to get it... that if he's really good Santa will bring him presents. When I was little I loved getting presents. Now that I'm older, I have truly discovered the joy of giving.

Starting from the year we were born, my parents bought us Christmas ornaments. We could look at our Christmas tree and trace our path in life, our interests, activities, what was important to us each year based on the ornaments on the tree. I'm not talking just one ornament a year here. At least two ornaments or more each year, every year (3+ ornaments a year x 33 years= hundreds of ornaments). Some were homemade, some are from catalogs, mostly though, they are Hallmark ornaments. After my brother, my sister and I each moved out, we each got GIANT boxes containing our ornaments. So we never had naked Christmas trees. It's actually fun to pull the ornaments out each year and tell the stories behind them, because each one truly has a story! (for those of you already reading this... I hit publish too soon... so I'm finishing this now!!)

I have ornaments I made as a child. Ornaments that say "Daughter," "Sister," "Granddaughter," and now "Mom." I've carried on the tradition with Alex. He has a handful of ornaments as well, but I limit it to two a year from us, because of course, my mom gets him 2 ornaments too.

Here are some ornament close-ups:

This picture shows a penguin I bought for Alex last year, a glass ball hand painted by one of Craig's former co-workesr, a bear on a swing that is mine, a shell ornament we picked up in St. Thomas on our honeymoom, and snowman that was just cute and needed to live on our tree.

This is one of my favorites! I took French for 6+ years, starting with my freshman year of high school. So there are a few Eiffel Towers ornaments on my tree, as well as some "Pere Noel" ornaments.

This one is also special... a gift the year we found out we were pregnant with Alex. If you notice the crayola ornament too, I collect the series of Crayola ornaments from Hallmark.

Oh heck, they're all special! This was another gift for Craig and I. My mom and I have this long running thing with Pink Flamingoes. It's a long story.

I'm quite certain this was my first ornament, though it might have been my second. It's a glass Santa covered in that sugar-type glitter. This one has to hang on an interior branch, so if it slips it might be cushioned from falling. The baseball is from Craig's trip to cover Bob Uecker's induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. This one got misplaced one year... put in the wrong box. We thought we threw it out with the tree. It resurfaced last year.

This Bob the Builder is Alex's. Bob is still a favorite of his.
As you can see every ornament has a story. There are hundreds of ornaments on my tree right now and each one has a story. I have a box and a half of ornaments that didn't even make it on the tree this year that also have stories. Christmas is all about memories... new and old. I think that's why it always make me feel so warm.

8 comments:

Holli said...

My mom still has all of our ornaments, but she did the same thing for us. One of these years I'd like to get those from her cause I know she's sick of storing them!! lol Your tree is beautiful...thank you for sharing that with us.

Amber M. said...

SUCH a gorgeous tree!! I always feel like I'm unwrapping friends when I get the ornaments out to decorate our tree each year.

I do the same thing for my kids...they each get a "brother" or "sister" Hallmark ornament every year and they'll get them all when they have their family or their first Christmas tree. Until then, they all cover a tree in our entryway. Such a fun tradition!

Susie said...

That's a great tree:-)

Unknown said...

We do the same thing for the boys. We buy them each a new ornament every year. Your tree is beautiful!

a little leprechaun said...

LOVE the stories! We are also doing the tradition of picking out a new ornament every year. I LOVE it! I love to see what Keegan picks and feels that should be his ornament for the year. Very fun!

Beautiful tree, beautiful ornaments, & beautiful tradition! Thank you for sharing!

Ritch in Love said...

I love Santa on the Eifel Tower!! So cute! I read a good book last week, thought you would find it interesting...JESUSLAND. Great book! And a true story.

Alison said...

We have the same tradition going back to when I was about 7 years old and of course we are continuing the tradition with my kids!

Ashley said...

I love your tree! I just love ornament stories! We all have those special ornaments that mean so much to us!