Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Adventures in Motherhood

Okay, so I know this is a bit late, but I survived my first weekend flying solo with the boys last weekend.

Craig went to Phoenix for work (for the Green Bay Packers playoff game), so I had my first weekend alone with both boys. For the most part it went pretty well. Saturday started off well, with some spitting up from Adam, some feistiness from Alex, and a dog that insisted on having to go to the bathroom nearly every hour on the hour. Oh... I nearly forgot to the projectile poop incident! Adam enjoys open-air pooping. I had no sooner pulled the diaper off, then I heard a little toot, and then BLECH! Okay, cleaned it up. Great. I decided to take the boys to 5PM Mass. We got ready no problem about 1/2 way through church, Adam needed a diaper change. So I instructed Alex that he had to sit perfectly still while I changed a diaper. As far as I know, he was great. Alex's reward for good behavior was watching a "Star Wars" movie when we got home. He picked "Return of the Jedi." So we survived Day One!

Sunday started off with all of us sleeping in. I put Adam in the bouncy chair so I could take a shower. After I got out of the shower, I went to check Adam's diaper. Complete diaper failure. FAILURE! Disgusting! So I got him cleaned up, then had to scrub his little sleeper and his onesie. I dug out the Oxy-Clean to soak the clothes in. I swore they were ruined, but after soaking them overnight, the stains came out. Meantime, Alex is doing "art projects" with markers and construction paper. He announces he has to go potty. And disappears for what seems like a long time. I don't think much of it. When he finally emerges, the dog heads into the bathroom and she doesn't come out for a long time. My head tells me something is going on, so I go in there and the floor around the toilet is damp. Great.

"Alex did you have an accident?"
"Yes, but I cleaned it up. I had to go real bad and I just missed."

I started to really clean up the floor, grab the floor mat, and it's SOAKED. GROSS! After some yelling in frustration, I finish cleaning up, and calmly explain to Alex that he needs to tell me when these things happen. If he tells me right away, I won't get so upset. -sigh- He actually seemed to understand. Amazingly the rest of the day went great!

Monday morning I had to get up, feed Adam, get Alex up, fed and dressed, and get him off to school. Did it! I swear I felt like Super Woman! It was a great feeling!

It was also a great feeling when I got the call from Craig that his plane had landed and he was on his way home. Now at least I know I can handle both boys on my own if necessary. And all I can do is laugh about the amount of bodily fluids I had my hands on over the weekend. Oh, and I'm really glad there are no more road trips on the horizon for Craig!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

too funny! I love the open air pooping! I have never heard of a baby doing that before you told me!

Ashley said...

Wow. Fun times with bodily fluids! Haha! You survived!! Glad Craig is back home to help!

Holli said...

Hilarious!!

Amber M. said...

Way to go on your solo weekend!!

And every mommy has at least one great diaper failure story...:-)