Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Yet another parenting lesson learned

Once a week I have to go in to work early. And one week a month, it's twice that I have to go in early. Is it a pain, kind of. It means I have to get up extra early and miss my morning snuggle time with Alex. But I really love my new job, and this is the only drawback so far.

I have made a habit out of warning Alex that I won't be there in the morning. Mainly because Alex would get really mad and be difficult for Craig in the morning after finding out I wasn't there.

At first, this seemed to work okay. But lately, he's been waking up in the middle of the night when I have to go in early. Sunday-Monday he woke up 3 times... 3:00, 3:30, and 4:30 AM. The first time I rolled over from a dead sleep and saw a back-lit 3 year old hovering by my bedside. As soon as I opened my eyes, I heard "Hi Mommy." Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Craig dealt with him the first two times (God bless him! Seriously...) but the third time I went in there and told Alex this was enough. I said, "I love you, but you're a big boy. Daddy takes good care of you in the morning. There's nothing to cry about. I'll pick you up after school like always." He sniffed a really pathetic, "Okay." I rubbed his back for a minute then stumbled back to bed for a precious additional 30 minutes of sleep.

So I think there's a parenting lesson in this... don't underestimate the element of surprise!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear. I symapathise, but it's also funny :-)

One of my boys used to wake up around 3am, pad into my bedroom and stand silently by my bed till I opened an eye. Usually startled the bejeebies out of me.

He'd then announce that he really needed breakfast...

At 3am !!!

Amber M. said...

I get a backlit 5-year-old in my room sometimes, too. But the worst part for me is the HUGE adrenaline rush I get after being scared out of such a dead sleep that I can't go back to sleep until 18 minutes before my alarm goes off.

Totally sympathizing with you.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

Expect the unexpected, as they always say! (And who are they to say anyway? lol)