Monday, May 31, 2010

The Wait is Over

I saw "Sex and the City 2" yesterday! I made up my mind that I was going to see it opening weekend because I completely missed the first one in theaters. I have loved this series since the beginning. The clothes, the fashion, the friends... oh, and the hot guys they dated! I have seen every episode at least twice. In fact, I own seasons 1-5. (I'm so obsessed that I have the first season on VHS, and want to get it on DVD.) I still need to get both parts of season 6 so I can have the whole series. I ended up going with a girl from work. We had a great time. I wanted to dress up, but we were going to the 1130 AM show on Sunday, so that might have been a bit much. I did, however, make sure to wear my most fabulous shoes.I went in to the movie with very low expectations. The first one was good fun. The reviews for this one have been mostly bad. My thoughts?

It was way too long, to begin with. At 2 hours 20 minutes, it was just too much. Story wise, I like the more serious problems the ladies faced (challenges of motherhood, putting sparkle back in your relationship, etc), I thought the trip to Abu Dhabi was just a bit too out there. Fabulous to look at and it was a fun romp, but just out of left field.

Edited to add: How could I forget... my other beef was that all the men except Big were basically accessories. We didn't see nearly enough of Harry, Steve, Stanford, Anthony, and even Smith. I do admit, Aiden was gorgeous as always, but each of those guys was on screen for less than 10 minutes! You mean to tell me Miranda and Charlotte wouldn't have had to discuss the "drop everything and go to Abu Dhabi" trip??

I did enjoy the conversation between Charlotte and Miranda about motherhood. That was very real... I know I could relate. Especially when Charlotte said "It's really hard. And I have help? How do women do it without help." Then they raised their drinks and said "To them." I loved that scene!

I'm glad I went. I hope if they do a third, they find a way to get the movie somewhere between the first and the second content wise. I'm interested to hear from other fans of the show. What did you think? Or are you even going to see it?

6 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

I went! I agree with you as well! The problems were good problems that they could have explored as 4 friends in the City - but instead it took a long, bad and crazy turn. At one point, my SIL looked at me and asked, "Is this Sex in the City or Dora in Dior?!!"
I wish they would have stayed in NYC - but I still love them!

Amber M. said...

Ha! I was happy to see your thoughts about the movie...there has been so much hype.

And I LOVE the shoes...FABULOUS!

Nic said...

I loved the movie....maybe it's just that I love those girls. I do agree with what you said though. My gripe: The clothes were so bad. There was one point that I looked at my friend and said, "Are those MC Hammer pants?"

I would be in line for #3 if it came out!

Love the shoes!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Love the shoes!
I don't know if I'll go see it or wait for the DVD. I went to the first one, but this one seems sort of silly based on the previews.

Lizzi said...

Love your shoes!

I never really watched the series, and still have to see the first movie, but I'll see #2 eventually.

Jenn Erickson said...

Hi Sydney! I was a big fan of the first few seasons. It was new. it was bold. It was fresh & original. I stuck with it through the end even though it started to feel a bit hackneyed. The first movie was cute a was a good fix for people who missed the series, but after seeing it I felt certain that the franchise had run its course. Lo and behold, the second movies came out and the previews made me cringe. Wish Hollywood knew when to say "when".